Saturday, February 08, 2003

Supply problems? At Apple? No way!

While this is pure speculation here, I've noticed a lack of "Ethernet Edition" AirPort Extreme base stations at Apple Retail Stores.
You may recall last Saturday's post, "AirPort Extremely out of stock," in which I mentioned my inability to purchase an AE base station. I returned to the Oakbrook Apple Store today, only to discover that there were no $199 Broadband-only AirPorts in stock, and that there hadn't been for several days. I left with a $249 base station, and a question.

Is Apple having supply problems with the new base stations?
Did they just underestimate the demand of the cheaper modem-less model?
Valid questions. But also consider the fact that there's another Apple Store, about 45 minutes to an hour from the Oakbrook one, in the Woodfield mall. This obviously wouldn't be the first time Apple has suffered supply versus demand issues. Take a look at the 5 GB iPod right now, and you'll see what I mean.

Update: I've started a thread at the Mac Forums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home